Wednesday

December 13th, 2017

Diversions

More DIY Masters

News of the Weird by Chuck Shepherd

By News of the Weird by Chuck Shepherd

Published July 1, 2016

More DIY Masters

Randy Velthuizen had lived in the house in Everson, Washington, for 20 years, but in April he accidentally set it afire while attempting to kill weeds with a blowtorch. It was an uninsured total loss. Mused Velthuizen, "It just made downsizing a hell of a lot easier."



In January, four units in an apartment house in midtown Detroit were accidentally burned out by a tenant attempting to kill a bedbug that had bitten him. He had tried to light it up, but by the time the flames were extinguished, he was badly burned, his and three adjacent units were uninhabitable, and two dozen others had suffered water damage. [Bellingham Herald, 4-4-2016] [Detroit Free Press, 1-8-2016]

Columnists

Toons

Lifestyles