Jewish World Review Dec. 13, 2001 / 28 Kislev, 5762
Joel C. Rosenberg
http://www.NewsAndOpinion.com -- What will 2002 hold? These conservative leaders and political strategists gave WORLD their predictions.
RUSH LIMBAUGH, radio talk show host
2. Ashcroft's approval numbers will remain in the mid-to-upper 70s.
3. Disney, he jokes, ends the pretense and buys the Democratic National Committee, naming ABC News President David Westin Chairman and CEO. "Synergy dictated this long overdue move," said Disney Chairman Michael Eisner.
STEVE MOORE, president, Club For Growth
2. College football will move to a 16-team playoff system.
3. Chris Cox will be the next majority leader.
FRANK LUNTZ, pollster
2. Al Gore will announce that he is not going to seek the Democrat nomination for President in 2004.
3. Tom Daschle will emerge as the top choice among Democrats to challenge George Bush in 2004.
JOHN McLAUGHLIN, pollster
2. Sen. Bob Smith beats Rep. John Sununu in the New Hampshire GOP primaries, then beats Gov. Jeanne Shaheen. 3. House Republicans will expand their majority.
GROVER NORQUIST, president of Americans for Tax Reform
2. Voter fraud will be the biggest issue of the 2002 election.
3. GOP will keep the House and win the Senate by one seat.
4. Daschle will be exposed as a liberal in his home state, after bitter fighting with Bush and the GOP.
DEROY MURDOCK, columnist for Scripps Howard
PEGGY NOONAN, author of WHEN CHARACTER WAS KING
2. Then Hollywood will give up on trying to get screenwriters and actors and directors to come up with a stories that show real affection and respect for America, and will solve the problem by re-making some classics. Look for a new production of Betty Smith's "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn," for instance.
3. There will a day, and it will come sooner than later, when we are all walking along the street on a pretty pre-dusk afternoon ... and suddenly someone will rush from a PJ Richards or The Wiz and announce to a street full of strangers, "They found Osama! They captured Osama!" And we will all stop stock still. Then we'll go into The Wiz and watch it on 213 monitors. And then we will cheer, and strangers will talk to strangers, and a number of us will find to our surprise that tears come to our eyes, and some people who haven't wept since 9/11 will weep at that moment. It will be some great moment, and we will never forget it.
4. Then I'll go on Fox and say, "But it can't stop here..."
KARL ROVE, chief political strategist for President Bush