Test your nutrition IQ: Alyssa Milano, broccoli and you
By Sam McManis
http://www.JewishWorldReview.com | Longtime readers will note The Quiz's affinity for all things broccoli. So imagine our delight when we caught sight of this headline, courtesy of the website for "Extra," the celeb-centric TV show: "Alyssa Milano Says She's Craving Broccoli."
Voilà, another excuse to quiz you about broccoli.
1. According to groovyvegetarian.com, the word "broccoli" comes from the Italian word "braccio," which means what?
a) knee cap
2. Everyone knows that broccoli is a good source of calcium, especially for the lactose-intolerant. But it's also high in what?
a) vitamin C
b) vitamin B12
c) vitamin E
3. One cup of raw broccoli provides what percentage of the daily value of fiber, according to nutritiondata.self.com?
a) 46 percent
b) 22 percent
c) 9 percent
4. According to goutremoval.com, broccoli is a "safe" vegetable for gout patients to consume for what reason?
a) It's alkaline-forming
b) It attacks free radicals in the body by blocking fat absorption
c) It's so tasteless that you won't eat too much of it
5. In "The Simpsons" episode "Treehouse of Horror XI," Homer dies after eating broccoli, which is called what?
a) "vegetable of the gods"
b) "Timothy Leary's favorite natural psychotropic"
c) "the deadliest plant on earth"
ANSWERS: 1: b; 2: a; 3: c; 4: a; 5: c
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Good-for-you foods © 2008, The Sacramento Bee Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
© 2008, The Sacramento Bee Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services