May 13, 2013
David G. Savage:
Church-state, literally? Supreme Court weighing public school graduation in a church
May 10, 2013
Rabbi Berel Wein: Be all that you should be
May 8, 2013
Peter Ford: Why China is welcoming both Israel's Netanyahu and Palestinians' Abbas
Obama administration quietly backs out of appeal over new contraceptive mandate
At Kerry-Putin meeting, US-Russia relations thaw --- a tad
The Kosher Gourmet by Leela Cyd Ross :
Almost too pretty to eat, this colorful salad with Sicilian inspiration will tickle the taste buds and delight your visual sensibility
May 6, 2013
May 3, 2013
Kids, kittens the Same?
With employee perks at struggling Internet pioneer Yahoo! it's hard to tell
Artificial kidney offers hope to patients tethered to a dialysis machine
April 29, 2013
Poland's new Jewish museum celebrates life, doesn't revisit Holocaust
Terrorism in America: Is US missing a chance to learn from failed plots?
Boston Bomber's 'Svengali' Revealed
Tiny satellites + cellphones = cheaper 'eyes in the sky' for NASA
April 26, 2013
Clifford D. May:
Defense in the Age of Jihadist Terrorism
Sharon Palmer, R.D.:
How to feel your best -- with plenty of energy, a healthy weight and optimal mental and physical function -- without driving yourself batty
April 24, 2013
Jewish World Review
June 5, 2008
/ 2 Sivan 5768
What does Obama's victory mean?
"I intend to proudly vote for Obama," said a caller to a National Public Radio show, "because I want to show the world what America is all about that a person of color can become president of the United States."
Let's put aside whether the caller would express the same enthusiasm were Obama a tax-cutting, Iraq-war-supporting Republican. And let's put aside what, if anything, America needs to "prove" to the rest of the world.
|FREE SUBSCRIPTION TO INFLUENTIAL NEWSLETTER|
Every weekday NewsAndOpinion.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". HUNDREDS of columnists and cartoonists regularly appear. Sign up for the daily update. It's free. Just click here.
Obama bright, sharp, a solid speaker ran an incredible, come-from-nowhere campaign to topple a front-runner who, at one time, led by some 30 points. But as Obama once said in criticizing his former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the caller acts as if America, as regards race, were "static."
What of the last 40 or so years?
Today, if black Americans' gross domestic product were measured separately, it would be the 16th-richest country in the world.
- Nearly 80 percent of blacks live above the poverty level, contrasted with 65 percent 40 years ago.
- The greater percentage of blacks live either middle-class or better lives.
- The employment rate for married black men equals the employment rate for married white men.
- The average black woman with a college degree makes more money than the average white woman with a college degree.
- The highest percentage of blacks in American history 46 percent own their homes.
- The majority of blacks live in integrated neighborhoods (defined as living with at least 10 percent of neighbors belonging to "other races").
- Black-white interracial marriage has soared after anti-miscegenation laws were struck down by the Supreme Court in 1967 from 65,000 in 1970 to 422,000 in 2005.
- Los Angeles, a city devastated by the Watts riots in 1965, with a population about 11 percent black, hired back-to-back black police chiefs.
- A black man served as United States ambassador to the United Nations.
- A black man served as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- Two blacks have served as members of the United States Supreme Court.
- The largest association of doctors the predominately white American Medical Association elected a black physician as leader.
- The largest association of lawyers, the American Bar Association, elected a black president.
- The Ford Foundation, one of America's largest philanthropic private foundations, with 2007 assets valued at $13.7 billion, was led for 12 years by a black man.
- Blacks hold or have held CEO positions at major companies, such as Merrill Lynch, American Express and Time Warner.
- Black-owned businesses grow at a rate faster than white-owned businesses.
- The multiracial Tiger Woods is the world's most famous and wealthiest athlete in earnings and product endorsements.
- Major League Baseball America's pastime is comprised of 40 percent black, Latino and Asian players.
- The Super Bowl, the most-watched sporting event in America, recently featured two teams headed by black coaches.
- Black females have won the Miss America beauty pageant.
- Black economist and best-selling author Thomas Sowell, based on the number of newspapers that carry his column, is one of the country's top 10 columnists.
- "The Cosby Show," a positive, upbeat sitcom about a black, upper-middle-class family, reigned for years as America's most-watched television program.
- Black faces on television abound in commercials, as local and national news anchors, and in shows playing a variety of characters from doctors and lawyers up to and including the president of the United States.
- Will Smith, a black actor, tops the list of the nation's movie box-office stars.
- Black actor Samuel L. Jackson appeared in more movies than any other actor of any color during the 1990s.
- Black television host Oprah Winfrey, arguably one of the most powerful television personalities in the history of the medium, has amassed, to date, a fortune estimated at $2.5 billion.
- Blacks serve or have served as mayors in many American cities, including the three largest New York, Los Angeles and Chicago.
- The current speaker of the California Assembly is the first black woman to head a statewide legislative body.
- Blacks comprise 10 percent of the House of Representatives, including some from primarily white Southern districts.
- A black man serves as chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee arguably the most powerful committee in the House.
- A black man served as chairman of the Democratic National Committee.
- Virginia, one of the states of the original Confederacy, elected a black man governor.
- The Republican Party, in the last election cycle, nominated blacks as candidates for governor of Ohio, governor of Pennsylvania, and senator from Maryland.
- Blacks have served the current administration as back-to-back secretaries of State.
So, what does Obama's candidacy mean? His victory shows that America grows ever closer to Martin Luther King Jr.'s vision of a society that judges people based on content of character, rather than color of skin.
Obama's victory does not prove this. It confirms it.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
JWR contributor Larry Elder is the author of, most recently, "Stupid Black Men: How to Play the Race Card--and Lose."
(Proceeds from sales help fund JWR)
Let him know what you think of his column by clicking here.
Larry Elder Archives
© 2006, Creators Syndicate
Richard Z. Chesnoff
Frank J. Gaffney
Victor Davis Hanson
A. Barton Hinkle
Judge A. Napolitano
Cokie & Steve Roberts
Debra J. Saunders
J. D. Crowe
Ask Doctor K