The Kosher Gourmet by Megan Gordon With its colorful cache of purples and oranges and reds, COLLARD GREEN SLAW is a marvelous mood booster --- not to mention just downright delish
April 18, 2014
Rabbi Yonason Goldson: Clarifying one of the greatest philosophical conundrums in theology
The Kosher Gourmet by Julie Rothman Almondy, flourless torta del re (Italian king's cake), has royal roots, is simple to make, . . . but devour it because it's simply delicious
: Trying hard to be 'positive' but never succeeding? Blame Your Brain
April 14, 2014
Rabbi Dr Naftali Brawer: Passover frees us from the tyranny of time
: First degree: How America really recovered from a murder epidemic
: When love is not enough: Teaching your kids about the realities of adult relationships
: How you can tell if your financial adviser is setting you up for potential ruin
: Up to 500,000 people die each year from hepatitis C-related liver disease. New Treatment Has Over 90% Success Rate
: Eating Watermelon Can Help Control High Blood Pressure
April 11, 2014
Rabbi Hillel Goldberg: Silence is much more than golden
: How to value a child for who he is, not just what he does
: A Simple Blood Test Might Soon Diagnose Cancer
: Have A Slow Metabolism? Let Science Speed It Up For You
April 9, 2014
Jonathan Tobin: Why Did Kerry Lie About Israeli Blame?
Samuel G. Freedman
: A resolution 70 years later for a father's unsettling legacy of ashes from Dachau
: A resolution 70 years later for a father's unsettling legacy of ashes from Dachau
: How Beans, Peas, And Chickpeas Cleanse Bad Cholesterol and Lowers Risk of Heart Disease
April 8, 2014
Coffee Drinkers Rejoice! Your Cup Of Joe Can Prevent Death From Liver Disease
Electric 'Thinking Cap' Puts Your Brain Power Into High Gear
April 4, 2014
A life of love: How to build lasting relationships with your children
Older Women: Save Your Heart, Prevent Stroke Don't Drink Diet
Why 50 million Americans will still have spring allergies after taking meds
Teacher keeps promise to mail thousands of former students letters written by their past selves
April 2, 2014
Should South Carolina Jews be forced to maintain this chimney built by Germans serving the Nazis?
Get happy: 20 scientifically proven happiness activities
It's Genetic! Obesity and the 'Carb Breakdown' Gene
Jewish World Review
Nov. 8, 2013
/ 5 Kislev, 5774
Jewz in the Newz
JFK/Thor/Portman on Being Jewish; Berkely Hoofs on 'DWTS'
JFK AND THOR; AND PORTMAN SPEAKS ABOUT THE JEWISH CONDITION
The National Geographic Channel marks the 50th anniversary of the death of President Kennedy with an original film, "Killing Kennedy" (airs Sunday, Nov. 10 at 10PM). Rob Lowe, whose children were raised in his wife's Jewish faith, plays JFK. GINNIFER GOODWIN, 35, plays Jacqueline Kennedy, and MICHELLE TRACHTENBERG, 28, plays Lee Harvey Oswald's Russian-born wife, Marina. While playing Marina, Trachtenberg speaks quite a bit of Russian.
The actress's mother, LANA, is an immigrant from Russia and she is also her daughter's manager. Michelle once said that she had to learn Russian to speak to her mother's parents. In a 2005 interview, she said that her grandparents lived in Israel and she had visited them there. However, she didn't make it crystal clear which set of grandparents she was referring to.
The 2011 film, "Thor," made mega-bucks, so there's a sequel, "Thor: the Dark World," (opens Friday, Nov. 8.) The original cast returns, including NATALIE PORTMAN, 32, as Jane, a brainy scientist who is the love interest of Thor, and KAT DENNINGS, 27 ("2 Broke Girls"), as Jane's intern and sidekick.
Portman sometimes complains that she's first choice for every Hollywood movie Jewish role. But there's a reason, besides her talent and beauty. No other major Jewish actor issues so many spot-on comments about the Jewish condition. Here's one from an Oct. 29 interview with the Telegraph, a UK paper:
"The older I get, the more I realize how different it is to be a Jew in a Jewish place as opposed to a Jew in a non-Jewish place. It's definitely a different feeling in terms of how freely you can be yourself and celebrate your culture and religion. It's very different being in Israel than in cities that don't have big Jewish populations, where it can sometimes feel dangerous to be Jewish, and you understand why there is a need for a place where you don't feel that way. I feel it in lots of places -- Pretty much everywhere -- New York and LA [where she currently lives] are the exceptions.
"On holidays in New York the city shuts down. My non-Jewish friends know how to wish you Shanah Tova, Happy New Year in Hebrew. In other places in the world it ranges from people who aren't familiar with Judaism to people who are hostile towards it."
DANCIN' WITH THE STARS
As I write this, the 8th week of ABC's "Dancing with the Stars" has ended and actress ELIZABETH BERKLEY LAUREN, 41, and her pro dance partner, VALENTIN CHERMKOVSKIY, 27, are narrow favorites to win this year's competition. Lauren, who is still a strikingly attractive woman, scored the only "perfect" dance score this season, to date, in week #6. She can take the "whole shimmering matzoh ball' if her dancing is more consistently stellar.
|INTERESTED IN YOUR FAMILY HISTORY?|
Ten years of doing a Jewish celebrity column has turned Nate Bloom into something of an expert in finding basic family history records and articles mentioning a "searched-for" person. During these 10 years, he has put together a small team of "mavens" who aid his research. Most professional family history experts charge at least a $1000 for a full family history. However, many people just want to get started by tracing one particular family line.
So here's the deal: Send Nate an e-mail at email@example.com, and tell him you saw this ad on Jewish World Review and include your phone number (area code too). Nate will contact you about doing a limited family history for a modest cost (no more than $100). No upfront cost. Open to everybody; of any religious/ethnic background.
Already-aired episodes of "DWTS" can be seen on the ABC website. The 9th week will air next Monday, Nov. 11, at 8PM; the 10th week exactly a week later, and the finale, on Nov 25th.
In 2003, Elizabeth (who was a bat mitzvah) married artist GREG LAUREN, 43, the nephew of RALPH LAUREN, 74, in a lavish Jewish wedding. "Uncle Ralph" designed his first wedding gown for her wedding. He has since designed gowns for his own son and daughter's respective weddings.
Elizabeth and Greg had their first child last year. She recently told JOAN RIVERS, 80, that she was fine with her son seeing her star in old episodes of the '80s teen sit-com, "Saved by the Bell," but he'd have to wait a "long time" before she was okay with him viewing her very adult movie,"Showgirls" (1995)
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in Washington and in the media consider "must reading." Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
To comment on this column, please click here.
• Woody Allen Defends Israel; Steinfeld Defends Earth --- Voices Anne Frank; Oprah Finds Out What Happened to Jewish Celebs
• Natalie Portman & Jennifer Grey Go to Synagogue Together; Tracing Sephardi Roots; Johansson is Both Sexy & Smart
• More Tribe Members Join Cast of New Shows; Josh Charles Gets Married; Movie News
• New TV Season: The Jewish Co-stars; Two Really Good New Flicks By Jewish Filmmakers: Don Jon and Enough Said
• Emmy Time for MOTs; Oldies that will Make You Smile Again Released!
• James Franco Roasted on Comedy Central; Huge Number of Jewish Comedians Featured in NBC Special; Rosanna Arquette Marries a Mensch: Really a Mentch!
• Marty Glickman Documentary: Great Jewish Athlete/Sportscaster; Tony Bennett's Daughter Chooses Judaism; The Monaco Royal Family Circus
• Liev Schreiber Plays LBJ; Steve Jobs Bio-Pic; Dr. Evil's Son Gets Mean; Pressel Plays Golf for the United States
• A Surprise Summer Hit; Natasha Lyonne's Comeback: Does It Mean There's Hope for Amanda Bynes?; Much Sympathy for actress Lea Michele, girlfriend of the late Cory Monteith. But She Isn't Jewish as Many Say
• New Adam Sandler Movie Ties Record for Most Jewish Actors; Silverstone Shares Milk; Hebrews Vie for Mets' First Base spot --- Other Baseball News
• Actress Ginnifer Goodwin re-discovers her faith: makes speech at synagogue; Humorous web series on re-discovering Judaism; new projects for Liev Schreiber and Zach Braff
• Rick Moranis' Jewish Album; A Gandolfini Jewish Connection; Michael Rapaport in New Comedy; Selma Blair Rubs Sheen Wrong; Liev Schreiber on Showtime
• 'The Voice' Singer's Karaite Background; Brad Pitt Battles Zombies in Israel w/help of Israeli actress; Rachelle Lefevre in Big Movie/Big Mini-Series
• JStreisand and Alicia Keys in Israel; "Girls" Stuff; Mel Brooks, Another TV special; Superman (who is Jewish) returns --- Israeli plays his mom
• Jewish Contestant on 'The Voice'; Will Smith's 'Jewish movie family'; Bravo Gives Long Island Jews the Jersey Shore Treatment; Magicians and More
• Memorial Day: Jews Serving and KIA in War on Terror; Liberace Bio-Pic; Jew Wins "Survivor"; Shalom, Dr. Brothers; More
• Jews Inducted into Rock Hall of Fame; Anton Yelchin co-stars in New "Trek" film; Kutcher (but not Kunis) visits Israel; Jewish TV Star Praises Jewish Rap Star
• The Great Gatsby's Jewish Ties; Jews in the "Time 100 list" List; People's Most Beautiful Women
• Iron Man's Jewish Connections; Marc Maron's New TV Show; Martin Landau Grows Up with Israel; Shalom, Allan Arbus
• Jewish Major Leaguers, 2013; New Movies and Comedy Show; Shalom, 'Lumpy' (Leave it to Beaver)
• Teen actor Jonah Bobo in New Flick: Hunky James Wolk on Mad Men; Erich Segal's Daughter Writes Prize-Winning Jewish Novel
• Jackie Robinson's Friend, Hank Greenberg; CNN's Jake Tapper; Texas County in the News is named for 19thC. Jewish soldier and Congressman
• Brad Garrett's New Sit-Com; Soviet Spies; Bar Mitzvah Video Deluxe; Three Guys Who Will be Missed
• The Back Story of the Ten Commandments (the film)--including Funny Stuff; Brit TV Dramas with a Jewish Connection
• Paul Rudd and Nat Wolff co-star in New Comedy; Al Pacino Plays Phil Spector; Tribe Heavy "Girls"; An Oscar Winner's Orthodox Son
• Bonnie Franklin, Valerie Harper; LA mayor's race; Albert Brooks on going to Shul
• The Land of Oz's Many Hebrews; Mila Kunis & a "Menschy" Company; Aly Raisman Dances & Jewish Figure Skaters at World Championship
• New on the Big Screen, Tube
• The Oscars: The Jewish Connection
• Jews in the National Hockey League; Possible Start of a Blockbuster Film Series; Star Wars Keep on Comin', Special TV Showing of Schindler's List
© 2013, Nate Bloom