Test your nutrition IQ: Calcium from non-dairy sources
By Sam McManis
A recent revelation that the
Take our quiz:
1. How many almonds would you have to eat to equal the 240 milligrams of calcium in 1 ounce of hardened cheddar cheese?
a) 1 cup
b) 2 1/2 cups
c) 4 cups
2. How many ounces of salmon would you have to eat to equal the 300 milligrams of calcium in 1 cup of milk?
a) 5 ounces
b) 7.5 ounces
c) 10 ounces
3. Which food item contains the most calcium?
a) 1/2 cup of ice cream
b) 1/4 cup of cottage cheese
c) 1 cup of broccoli
4. How many canned sardines would you have to eat to equal the calcium content (350 mg) in 6 ounces of yogurt?
5. At 269 mg, which fruit contains the most calcium?
a) 1 medium navel orange
b) 10 medium dried figs
c) 2/3 cup of raisins
ANSWERS: 1: b; 2: a; 3: c; 4: b; 5: b
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Walnuts © 2008, The Sacramento Bee Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
© 2008, The Sacramento Bee Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services