Test your nutrition IQ: Focus on beverages
By Sam McManis
http://www.JewishWorldReview.com | So much attention is paid to the fatty foods we eat, all those trans fats and processed sugars, that many of us might forget that what we drink also contributes to weight gain. So sit down with a tall, cold glass and take our sparkling quiz on beverages. Salud!
1. According to government figures, what percentage of an American's daily calories consumed comes from drinks?
a) 22 percent
b) 31 percent
c) 48 percent
2. What percentage of the added sugar we consume comes from beverages?
a) 25 percent
b) 50 percent
c) 75 percent
3. How many ounces of sugar-sweetened beverages does the average American consume daily?
4. How many ounces of water does the average American consume daily?
5. How many calories are in 8 ounces of Juicy Juice white grape fruit juice?
6. How many calories are in 1 cup of raw white grapes?
ANSWERS: 1: a; 2: b; 3: a; 4: c; 5: b; 6: c
Sources: tuftshealthletter.com; www.calorieking.com
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Portion size guidelines © 2008, The Sacramento Bee Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
Portion size guidelines
© 2008, The Sacramento Bee Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services