Test your nutrition IQ: Veggie Burgers
By Sam McManis
http://www.JewishWorldReview.com | The American Dietetic Association, which is always looking for alternatives to artery-clogging food choices, recently examined veggie burgers on the grill for summer.
Take this quiz based on research by registered dietitian Dawn Jackson Blatner.
1. Which vegetables usually turn up as ingredients in most veggie burgers with 10 grams or less of protein?
a) mushrooms, onions, celery
b) carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes
c) spinach, broccoli, zucchini
d) all of the above
e) none of the above
2. Which whole grain does not turn up in most veggie burgers?
a) brown rice
c) bulgur wheat
d) rolled oats
3. Veggie burgers with more than 10 grams of protein contain little in the way of actual vegetables or whole grains. What do they contain?
a) soy protein
b) wheat gluten
4. True or false: Veggie hot dogs contain more protein than franks made from meat.
5. How much more sodium does a veggie burger contain than unseasoned beef or turkey burgers?
b) three times
c) five times
d) 15 times
ANSWERS: 1: d; 2: b; 3: c; 4: true; 5: c
Source: American Dietetic Association
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
The lowdown on soy sauce and sodium © 2008, The Sacramento Bee Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
The lowdown on soy sauce and sodium
© 2008, The Sacramento Bee Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services