Jewish World Review
July 17, 2013 /10 Meanachem-Av, 5773
New York, 'The City That Never Sleeps' --- with its Spouse
EW YORK CITY, NY
Sometimes political events make op-ed satire so easy.
Former Attorney General, New York Governor and hooker enthusiast Eliot Spitzer said he will run for Comptroller. Spitzer is a man who cannot comp-trol himself but, like fellow New York Democrat and mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner, he can troll the Internet.
As we have come to know, continuing sex scandals are imperatives of a mature democratic society. Spitzer is a real troll who had to pay for sex; the whole idea of power usually means you should not have to.
What makes the Spitzer race interesting is that he will be opposed by his ex-madam, Kristen Davis, who pimped his expensive call girls to him. She will run as a libertarian, so she has my vote. "But," you ask, "how can you vote for a professional prostitute who is active in the most degrading profession on earth?" And I would say, "No, you misunderstand. I am not voting for Eliot Spitzer, I'm voting for Kristen Davis."
Ms. Davis, who has not seen Spitzer since she went to prison while he avoided prosecution for prostitution and maybe money laundering and went scot free, says she ended up broke. Spitzer was rewarded with his own show on CNN (a liberal award much like an Oscar, Grammy or Nobel Prize). It will be fun to watch the debate between madam and Client #9, Eliot Spitzer. The last time they debated it was over price.
So we have the heartwarming, classic American story of boy meets madam, madam supplies boy with expensive hooker, boy secretly pays for kinky sex, boy leaves office in disgrace, and boy is relegated to run a redemption race against the madam. It feels like a Norman Rockwell painting.
If you pitched this to Hollywood as a movie script, they would say it is too silly to believe.
If either of them wins the Comptroller job, New Yorkers will be citizens of the only state that requires them to remit tax payments by leaving the money on the dresser.
It is not entirely the creepy personal life of the hypocritical Spitzer that makes me dislike him. I would vote for Charlie Sheen if he would balance the budget, provide efficient government services, and stay out of my business. To me, Spitzer is the lowest form of bad: a man willing to prosecute high-profile people on dubious charges solely for his own political advantage. He ruined people's lives by announcing, with no remorse, that he was going after them. He never won a white-collar case, but without conscience, he hurt people along the way.
He was like a politically ambitious, egotistical, maniacal bureaucrat out of "Atlas Shrugged." Like N.C. prosecutor Nifong in the Duke lacrosse case, political meddling in the Terri Schiavo case, and those in the Holder DOJ who forced the prosecution of George Zimmerman (even when the local police and prosecutor said there was no evidence), prosecutors and politics do not mix. Spitzer wants the Comptroller job because he will once again have subpoena power which he can use to wage vendettas and showboat media-driven prosecutions to advance his personal agenda.
Neither Spitzer nor Weiner has shown much genuine remorse for how they embarrassed themselves and hurt their families. As life-long politicians, their first reaction was to huddle with their advisors to see how quickly they could plot their comebacks. Both got to keep their $3 million war chests. Only in politics are disgraced elected officials rewarded by being able to keep donations.
Both men announced their candidacies by releasing the news at midnight. Weiner did so with a You Tube video. Nothing says a man has learned his lesson about creepy sex-ploits more than being on his personal computer at midnight.
New York Democrat machine politics has all the smells of a porta-pottie in the summer. The sad thing is that both Weiner and Spitzer (Weiner Spitzer if you will) are surging in the polls. What does it say about liberal New Yorkers that they are willing to let these men represent them again? No, Bill Clinton "did not have sexual relations with that woman." Neither did Weiner. But Mark Sanford, Senator David Vitter and Eliot Spitzer did.
So the lesson for our kids is that, if you are going to lie about sex, you might as well have it. The consequences are the same.
|BUY THE BOOK|
Click HERE to purchase it at a discount. (Sales help fund JWR.).
Comment by clicking here.
JWR contributor Ron Hart grew up in Tennessee and began writing a column for his hometown paper in 2002. He attended The University of Memphis and the Institute for Political and Economic Systems at Georgetown University. Ron graduated Magna Cum Laude and was elected student government president. Upon getting his MBA, he went to work for Goldman Sachs. He was appointed to the Tennessee Board of Regents by then Governor Lamar Alexander and is now a private investor. He appears on CNN and has been quoted in numerous publications including the Wall Street Journal.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
• Bankruptcy Gone Wild
• When the whole of D.C.'s political class agrees on something, it scares me
• C'mon, do the O-bots really want meth convicts selling Sudafed and toys peddled by pedophiles at Wal-Mart?
• Orwellian Administration's Data Under-Mining of American Values
• Ireland: Great beer, wee bit of entrepreneural opportunity
• Why Obama Comparisons to Nixon are Fair
• O-bots Abound
• Commencement Reality Speech
• ObamaCare: Pols Try to Weasel Out of Their Own Law
• Weiner Again Dangles Possible Run for Mayor of NYC
• Lil' Kim --- Like Father, like Son, Young 'Uns Can Get in Trouble
• Stimulus Money for 'Shovel Ready' Projects --- Where Did It Go?
• Our Petulant POTUS
• Degrees Cost More but Are Worth Less: Three Ways to Fix Education
• Sequestration Drama Queens
• Pelosi's America and the Declaration of Dependence
• The Statist of the Union Address
• Amnesty and a Wink: Another Bad Idea Whose Time Has Come
• Dems 'Never Let a Good Tragedy Go To Waste'
• GOP's Feckless Response to Debt Ceiling Opportunity
• Al-Gore-Jazeera and his global gouging
• Is it more detrimental to taxpayers if Congress tries to do something--- or fails to?
• Yoga: Don't Just Do Something --- Sit There
• Looking Back at 2012
• Day-O: Daylight Come and I Wanna Go Home
• Whites on Rice --- senators grill would-be ambassador
• Let's Get Fiscal
• Hostess with the Least-est
• Tax Collectors Find There is Gold in That Thar' Stripper Glitter
• Sandy is reminder of all other broken Obama campaign promises
• 'Hope and Change' have become Smirk and Disdain
• The Town Hall Debate: Angry Birds II
• Boorish Biden needed to be put in time out
• Media and Their Polls Declare Obama Winner
• The United Nations: U.S. Attends Annual 'Despot Lecture' Series
• Root of evil? Modern-day hitchhikers of virtue
• You didn't build that' Speech Justifies Obama's Confiscation of Our Money
• Anthony Weiner Reinserts Himself --- Into Politics
• The 'Food Stamp President' Loves the Dependent, Mostly for Their Votes
• The Fourth and Family
• Fatherhood: Blame starts early if you allow it
• Toothless Law Sets Doofus Free: The John Edwards Hung Jury
• The Dangers of Government's Creeping Incrementalism
• Affable dolt, highly excitable and eager to please, Biden does Obama's Bidding
• First Person Forward
• The Secret Service: Not that Secret about getting Serviced
• Who are Really the Heroes?
• GSA Vegas excesses? Bush's fault
• Temptation of the Tebow
• ObamaCare---Once They Get their Commerce Claws in Us, What's the Limit?
• Obama's Campaign Theme: Taxation and Demonization
• DNA and Me: Family Facts not Genome for Years
• College for Everyone? Some Children Need to be Left Behind
• Hope for the Hip-Hop-ocrisy at the Grammys
• The Bain of Our Existence
• Confusing Obama and 'Go Bama'
• E-conning the Public, Washington Spending, and Other Shell Games
• Looking Back at 2011
• Kim Jong Il: North Koreans Love You Long Time --- it's Mandatory
• What the MF-- Global?
• The GOP Primaries: The Adultery of Hope
• No Thankfulness at Thanksgiving for the OWS Crowd
• Cain Mutiny, or a High-tech Lynching?
• Slipping into an Envy-ocracy
• An honest, if unconventional, assessment of those vying to wipe that smirk off Obama's smug mug
• The Unwashed Masses Descend on New York City
• Obama pivots to jobs --- his
• Washington: Blame No One. Do Something!
• Our Debt Problems: Politicians Extend and Pretend
• No Child Left --- To the Left
• Dems' debt ceiling demagoguery
• Golf Summit --- I Like Spike(s)
• Nancy Pelosi Finally Demands a Weiner Probe
• The porkulus political payback project
• Schwarzenegger, please!
• An ILL Wind for Business --- Boeing, Boeing Gone?
• Osama's 72 Virgins --- and Obama's 72 Versions
• Bin Laden was taken out by seals and now sleeps with the fishes
• Trump: Got 99 problems, but rich ain't one
• Why you should see the Atlas Shrugged movie
• Why The Donald trumps the Bamster
• Mid-East Megalomaniacal Despots on the Run
• Truther or Dare
• Facebook Un-friends Our Increasingly Regulation-burdened Capital Markets
• Egyptians Unfriend Mubarak
• Hold 'em liable --- the colleges, that is
• Follow your Hart in a look back at 2010
• GOP wins in showdown
• WikiLeaks --- Danger or Disinfectant?
• The Angle of the Rangel
• Where We Let Terrorists Really Hurt Us
• Time to starve the spending beast
• The TSA: We Do Chicken Right!
• A Red Wave
• No Juan Left Behind at NPR
• Capitalism in Time Saves Mine
• The Broader Picture of What These Elections Mean
• Dem-moralized: Dead Fish taken to the trash cant
• Ships Passing in the Night
• Obamanomics continue to add up . . . for Republicans
• She had Tiger by the tail: If Elin did not get Tiger's money, Obama would have
© 2010 Ron Hart