Jewish World Review
News of the Weird: Not So Bright Ideas
In late 2010, a Georgia utility contractor discovered an elaborate "Internet-controlled network of web-accessible cameras" and three shotguns aimed into a food-garden plot on a Georgia Power Company right of way (as reported by the Augusta Chronicle in January). The Georgia Wildlife Resources Division and U.S. Homeland Security took a look, but by then, the structure had been moved. (Homeland Security speculated that the set-up was to keep feral hogs away from the food stock.) [Augusta Chronicle, 1-14-2011]
Principal Angela Jennings of Rock Chapel Elementary School in Lithonia, Ga., resigned after an investigation revealed that she had temporarily unenrolled 13 students last year for the sole purpose of keeping them from annual statewide tests because she feared their scores would drag down her school's performance. (When the test was over, Jennings re-enrolled them.) The resignation, effective in June, was revealed in February by Atlanta's WSB-TV. [Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 2-3-2011]
Artists Adam Zaretsky and Tony Allard told AOL News in February of their plans to create "bio-art" based on an epoxy-preserved "glob" of feces excreted by the counterculture novelist William S. Burroughs (who died in 1997). The pair would isolate Burroughs' DNA, make copies, soak them in gold dust, and, with a laboratory "gene gun," shoot the mixture into blood, feces and semen to create "living bio-art." (Zaretsky was less certain when asked what was actually being produced, suggesting that they may call their work a "living cut-up literary device" or just a mutant sculpture. Zaretsky is a Ph.D. candidate at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Allard is a college professor in San Diego.) [AOL News, 2-11-2011]
Click here to comment on this column.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
• No Sense of Shame!
• Change, the old fashioned way; Another Sovereign Citizen
• Elusive Perps; The Country Afraid of Its Own Shadow
• More Can't Possibly Be True!
• Can't Possibly Be True
• Things that make say HUH!?
• Least Competent Criminals; Classic
• SICK! SICK! SICK!
• Questionable Judgments
• All cultures are equal?
• Least Competent Criminals; She's repulsive, they're jealous
• The Entrepreneurial Spirit; Not Your Father's Scotch
• Science on the Cutting Edge
• Privacy v. art; The Continuing Crisis
• Recurring Themes; A News of the Weird Classic
• People With Issues; Least Competent Criminals
• Economics and witchcraft; Ironies
• From victims to tourist attractions; Wacky lawsuit
• Compelling Explanations
• Least Competent Criminals; People Who Ran Over Themselves
• Surprise!; 'That Was Easy!'
• Government in Action!
• Bizarre art
• Getting Old, Young; from the archives
• Undignified Deaths
• Bright Ideas; Least Competent Criminals
• Oops!; Failed to Think It Through
• The Continuing Crisis; Beloved Banker
• The ear has a G-spot
• Respect for All Cultures?
• First Things First
• Questionable State Regulation; Can't Possibly Be True
• Unclear on the Concept; Least Competent Criminals
• Where down is up; Can't Possibly Be True
• Least Competent Criminals; Things that Make You Say: Huh!?
• News That Sounds Like a Joke
• Cultural Diversity; eggs-ellent! (from the archives)
• News from Islam-land; Latest Cutting-Edge Research
• Those Ingenious Western Spies!; Cultural Diversity
• Can't Possibly Be True; Motherly Love
• Least Competent Criminals; Questionable Judgments
• This mafia really are animals; out of control businesses
• Science on the Cutting Edge
• Daring New Products
• Least Competent Criminals; from the archives
• If Life Gives You …
• Their Crimes Fit Their Names; Bright Ideas
• Latest Rights; Compelling Explanations
• One of the world's most bizarre conferences; delicious ironies
• Thinning the herd; Downgrade Cut Short; from the archives
• Cleverest Non-Humans; Medicare In Action
• Oops!; The Weirdo-American Community; Least Competent Criminals
• Life Imitates a Drew Barrymore Movie; Weird Science; Questionable Judgments
• Questionable Judgments; Great, ahem, Art!
• Fine Points of the Law; Thank Goodness for Narcissists
• Cliches Come to Life; First Things First; Fine Points of the Law
• News That Sounds Like a Joke; Suspicions Confirmed; Yikes!
• Do They Know?; Yikes!
• Catch-22 Catches Disabled Veteran; The Continuing Crisis; Best Not to Ask Why
© 2011, Chuck Shepherd. Distributed by Universal Uclick