March 5, 2014
Netanyahu's inaction to Obama's provocations sends powerful message
Kerry, after apparent criticism by Schumer, seeks to allay skepticism on diplomacy
How to ruin a perfectly good kid in 10 simple steps
2014 Oscars played it safe, but was faith lost in the shuffle?
Apple joins Hobby Lobby in touting corporate values beyond profit
March 3, 2014
Alina Dain Sharon: In the Hebrew calendar, a leap year has extra month, not day
Latest Obama appointment to prove Prez set on emasculating so-called Israel Lobby
Jewish World Review
News of the Weird: Government in Action!
Everyone washes hair, but those who want a license to apply shampoo in Texas need 150 hours of training, with 100 hours in "theory and practice of shampooing," including a study of "neck anatomy." A February Wall Street Journal report on excessiveness of state regulation highlighted California's year-long training to be a barber, Alabama's 750-hour schooling standard for a manicurist's license, and Michigan's 500 practice hours for performing massages. (By contrast, many less-tightly regulated states seem not to suffer. Connecticut, without licensing, fielded only six complaints last year against manicurists -- four of which involved disputes over gift cards.) Next up for licensing, perhaps: cat groomers in Ohio. [Wall Street Journal, 2-7-2011]
What Budget Crunch? The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported in January that despite an array of pressing problems, the Broward County public school system has paid about $100,000 per year since 2004 to build and maintain special gardens at selected schools in order to lure butterflies for pupils to study. [South Florida Sun-Sentinel, 1-1-2011]
The 2009 federal stimulus program came through just in time with $34,000 for the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Kearneysville, W.Va., laboratory. Work on the recent dangerous increase in Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs was in jeopardy because money had run out for design of a workable air distribution system for the offices. [Pottstown (Pa.) Mercury, 10-6-2010]
The City Commission of San Antonio, Fla. (population 1,052), passed an ordinance in January restricting, to a tiny portion of town, where registered sex offenders could live. However, San Antonio has only one sex offender, and that man is exempt from the law because he already lives there. [Orlando Sentinel, 1-19-2011]
Click here to comment on this column.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
• Bizarre art
• Getting Old, Young; from the archives
• Undignified Deaths
• Bright Ideas; Least Competent Criminals
• Oops!; Failed to Think It Through
• The Continuing Crisis; Beloved Banker
• The ear has a G-spot
• Respect for All Cultures?
• First Things First
• Questionable State Regulation; Can't Possibly Be True
• Unclear on the Concept; Least Competent Criminals
• Where down is up; Can't Possibly Be True
• Least Competent Criminals; Things that Make You Say: Huh!?
• News That Sounds Like a Joke
• Cultural Diversity; eggs-ellent! (from the archives)
• News from Islam-land; Latest Cutting-Edge Research
• Those Ingenious Western Spies!; Cultural Diversity
• Can't Possibly Be True; Motherly Love
• Least Competent Criminals; Questionable Judgments
• This mafia really are animals; out of control businesses
• Science on the Cutting Edge
• Daring New Products
• Least Competent Criminals; from the archives
• If Life Gives You …
• Their Crimes Fit Their Names; Bright Ideas
• Latest Rights; Compelling Explanations
• One of the world's most bizarre conferences; delicious ironies
• Thinning the herd; Downgrade Cut Short; from the archives
• Cleverest Non-Humans; Medicare In Action
• Oops!; The Weirdo-American Community; Least Competent Criminals
• Life Imitates a Drew Barrymore Movie; Weird Science; Questionable Judgments
• Questionable Judgments; Great, ahem, Art!
• Fine Points of the Law; Thank Goodness for Narcissists
• Cliches Come to Life; First Things First; Fine Points of the Law
• News That Sounds Like a Joke; Suspicions Confirmed; Yikes!
• Do They Know?; Yikes!
• Catch-22 Catches Disabled Veteran; The Continuing Crisis; Best Not to Ask Why
© 2011, Chuck Shepherd. Distributed by Universal Uclick