Test your nutrition IQ: Omega-3
By Sam McManis
OK, you're telling me that Omega-3 Awareness Day came and went on
1. According to a recent study in the
2. For which of the following conditions is the use of omega-3 not helpful?
a) Decreasing triglyceride levels
b) Helping lower the creatine kinase in the kidneys
c) Slowing the growth rate of atherosclerotic plaque
3. What is a major problem that someone who consumes too much omega-3 (more than 3 grams a day) can experience?
a) Cluster headaches
b) Brittle bones
c) Excessive bleeding
4. Which of the following foods does not contain alpha-linolenic acid, or ALA, an omega-3 fatty acid?
5. Other than salmon, which fish contains the highest levels of omega-3s?
ANSWERS: 1: a; 2: b; 3: c; 4: b; 5: c (swordfish: 0.97 grams per 3-ounce serving).
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Toxins in food © 2008, The Sacramento Bee Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
Toxins in food
© 2008, The Sacramento Bee Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services