March 5, 2014
Netanyahu's inaction to Obama's provocations sends powerful message
Kerry, after apparent criticism by Schumer, seeks to allay skepticism on diplomacy
How to ruin a perfectly good kid in 10 simple steps
2014 Oscars played it safe, but was faith lost in the shuffle?
Apple joins Hobby Lobby in touting corporate values beyond profit
March 3, 2014
Alina Dain Sharon: In the Hebrew calendar, a leap year has extra month, not day
Latest Obama appointment to prove Prez set on emasculating so-called Israel Lobby
Jewish World Review
News of the Weird: Where down is up; Can't Possibly Be True
"Tall, slim, facial symmetry," "good teeth," along with classic makeup and dress and graceful movement, might comprise the inventory list for any beauty contest winner, and they are also the criteria for victors in Niger's traditional "Gerewol" festival -- except that the contestants are all males and the judges all females. Cosmetics are especially crucial, with symbolic black, yellow and white patterns and stripes (with white being the color of "loss" and "death"). A special feature of the pageants, according to a January BBC television report, is that when the female judges each select their winners, they are allowed to marry them (or have flings), irrespective of any pre-existing marriage by either party. [BBC News]
It was a prestigious hospital on a worthy mission (to recruit hard-to-match bone marrow donors to beef up dwindling supplies), but UMass Memorial Medical Center (Worcester, Mass.) went hardcore: hiring young female models in short skirts to flirt with men at New Hampshire shopping centers to entice them to give DNA swabs for possible matches. Complaints piled up because state law requires insurance providers to cover the tests, at $4,000 for each swab submitted by the love-struck flirtees, and the hospital recently dropped the program, according to a December New York Times report. [New York Times]
Click here to comment on this column.
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
• Least Competent Criminals; Things that Make You Say: Huh!?
• News That Sounds Like a Joke
• Cultural Diversity; eggs-ellent! (from the archives)
• News from Islam-land; Latest Cutting-Edge Research
• Those Ingenious Western Spies!; Cultural Diversity
• Can't Possibly Be True; Motherly Love
• Least Competent Criminals; Questionable Judgments
• This mafia really are animals; out of control businesses
• Science on the Cutting Edge
• Daring New Products
• Least Competent Criminals; from the archives
• If Life Gives You …
• Their Crimes Fit Their Names; Bright Ideas
• Latest Rights; Compelling Explanations
• One of the world's most bizarre conferences; delicious ironies
• Thinning the herd; Downgrade Cut Short; from the archives
• Cleverest Non-Humans; Medicare In Action
• Oops!; The Weirdo-American Community; Least Competent Criminals
• Life Imitates a Drew Barrymore Movie; Weird Science; Questionable Judgments
• Questionable Judgments; Great, ahem, Art!
• Fine Points of the Law; Thank Goodness for Narcissists
• Cliches Come to Life; First Things First; Fine Points of the Law
• News That Sounds Like a Joke; Suspicions Confirmed; Yikes!
• Do They Know?; Yikes!
• Catch-22 Catches Disabled Veteran; The Continuing Crisis; Best Not to Ask Why
© 2011, Chuck Shepherd. Distributed by Universal Uclick