Test your nutrition IQ: Check your beer smarts
By Sam McManis
http://www.JewishWorldReview.com | All you Homer Simpson disciples will be heartened to know that, contrary to the stereotype, beer has its nutritious aspects. Everything in moderation, of course. Try our quiz on beer:
1. According to researchers in Heidelberg, Germany, beer has antioxidant qualities — specifically the flavonoids xanthohumol and isoxanthohumol. What percentage of the flavonoids come from barley?
2. The Council of Scientific Research in Madrid, Spain, found that a person's immunity from illness increases after how many days of moderate beer drinking?
3. Beverage World magazine reports that a Spanish brewer has launched a beer, Ambar Cerveza, said to have the highest fiber content on the beer market. How much fiber is in a 12-ounce bottle?
a) 7.5 grams
b) 10 grams
c) 17.1 grams
4. A Tufts University study says silicate (formed by the barley husk) found in beer has a strong association with increased bone mineral density. After how many beers did drinkers show a greater bone density in the hip than non-drinkers?
5. True or false: The Tufts study showed that people who consume more than two drinks a day had lower hip bone density than nondrinkers.
6. Bard's Tale Beer, a gluten-free option for beer drinkers made with sorghum instead of barley and wheat, contains 155 calories in a 12-ounce bottle. According to calorie-counter.net, how many more calories is that than in a 12-ounce can of regular Budweiser?
ANSWERS: 1: b; 2: c; 3: a; 4: a; 5: true; 6: b
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Snack attack © 2008, The Sacramento Bee Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
© 2008, The Sacramento Bee Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services