Test your nutrition IQ: Plums
By Sam McManis
http://www.JewishWorldReview.com | Among the pricier fruit indulgences out there, particularly at this time of year, are plums. But there's no doubt this stone fruit is stone-cold delicious. Take our quiz:
1. Plums are the second-most-cultivated fruit in the world, behind which fruit?
2. What percentage of the daily value of fiber does consuming one plum (2 inches in diameter, 66 grams) provide?
a) 9 percent
b) 19 percent
c) 29 percent
3. Most people are familiar with purple plums, but there are several color types. Which is not a color of plum?
4. True or false: Ripe plums can be refrigerated in a plastic bag and eaten within four days.
5. Which early 20th century American poet extolled the lusciousness of plums in free verse?
a) Ezra Pound
b) William Carlos Williams
c) Gertrude Stein
ANSWERS: 1: b; 2: a; 3: c; 4: True; 5: b
Sources: usda.gov; homecooking.about.com; calorielab.com
Every weekday JewishWorldReview.com publishes what many in the media and Washington consider "must-reading". Sign up for the daily JWR update. It's free. Just click here.
Comment by clicking here.
Check your beer smarts © 2008, The Sacramento Bee Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services
Check your beer smarts
© 2008, The Sacramento Bee Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services